Jobs Plus Permit no. 326/2023
Overall Purpose of Position
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for design, management, and implementation of WSC
electrical control systems to ensure safe, uninterrupted, and efficient operation.
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be expected to:
• Perform a range of moderately complex electrical engineering related works with minimal
supervision and technical guidance
• Design of electrical power and control systems, including PLC and HMI programming
• Develops and completes tasks and projects in an effective and timely manner
• Preparation of reports as requested by executive management
• Application of engineering principles and techniques to identify, analyse and resolve
problems in a straightforward manner
• Performs assigned tasks of larger projects and provides leadership for the continuous
improvement and optimisation of water and wastewater processes
• Provides technical support on components, systems, and equipment
• Energy Auditing
• Participation in cross-functional teams
• Design, manage, implement, and commission new electrical control system projects
• Execute modifications, perform upgrades, and troubleshoot existing electrical control
• Responsible for PLC and HMI programming. Develop applications of controls,
instruments, and systems for industrial uses, including motors and pumping systems, PLC
controls, and general design controls; directing activities to ensure that manufacturing,
construction, installation, and operation conform to functional specifications and customer
• Responsible for the compliance to the company’s control system design and
implementation standards to ensure consistent control system operations.
Coordinate operation, maintenance and repair of equipment and systems utilizing
computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering
• Prepare product or system layouts, detailed drawings, and schematics.
• Maintain electrical control systems documentation
• Familiarity with OHSA, NEMA, IEC, and other applicable codes and standards as they
pertain to the design and installation of industrial control panels and controls systems.
• Responsible for project leadership, support, and coordination of engineering related
improvements involving the following major areas: water, recycled water, wastewater,
buildings/facilities, specifications, instrumentation, electrical, automation and controls, and
• Responsible for identification, specification, requisitioning, and coordination with
procurement for the purchase and delivery of project components and equipment necessary
for implementation of projects.
• Ensuring efficient operation of equipment by carrying out periodic energy audits as
instructed by the Managing Professional TSS
• Co-ordinate works with other professionals in the TSS as well as other professionals in
other sections of the WSC
• Supervising, training, and providing technical support to subordinates
• To follow professional development programmes as prescribed by the WSC
• Participate in and contribute to cross-functional teams as required, consult with relevant
departments, as necessary, and provide training as may be required.
• Co-ordinate with the Quality Unit in obtaining and maintaining certifications and
accreditations of the Corporation and participate in internal and external audits, and peer
• Carry out effectively any other duties and responsibilities and undertake other assignments
as reasonably directed by the Management.
i. Expected to be in, and maintain, a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect
of ability to render regular and efficient service;
ii. Expected to work flexible hours in order to meet accountabilities and attend to work after
office hours, as may be required;
iii. Abide by rules and regulations issued by WSC;
iv. Consult with other sections as may be required
v. Expected to maintain oneself abreast with best practices relevant to the post and attend any
training which may be provided.
Qualifications and Experience
By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must:
i. Be in possession on an electrical Engineering Degree at MQF Level 6;
ii. Preference will be given to Engineering Profession Warrant holders;
iii. Have proven experience as an Electrical Engineer on industrial plant equipment, systems,
iv. Be in possession of a valid drivers’ license;
v. Be in possession of a clean police conduct, not older than six (6) months from date of
• Work under limited supervision, both individually and within a team;
• Detail oriented and works with a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality;
• Problem solving skills, able to multitask and meet challenging deadlines;
• Highly organized and flexible;
• Able to maintain a professional approach at all times.
The appointment is subject to a trial/probationary period of twelve (12) months during which time
Appointees (i) will retain their substantive appointments, and (ii) need invariably undergo and pass
through a specialized certification course to be organized by the Corporation as per exigencies.
Failure to get certified as herein mentioned will automatically render the incumbent as having failed
the trial/probationary and they shall return to their substantive grade upon notice issued by the
Corporation to that effect.