Jobsplus Permit no:
Overall Purpose of Position
In this role, the chosen candidate will form part of a team responsible for the electrical upkeep of the Reverse Osmosis/Waste-Water Treatment Plants, comprising of power and automated control systems, medium voltage installations and equipment, motor control equipment and standby generator equipment.
The job holder will be responsible for the implementation of preventive maintenance and to assist in equipment overhaul/major maintenance works at the Plants. In addition, he / she will be:
- Attending to faults and breakdowns with the minimum of delay
- Carrying out any other repairs and/or new installations as instructed/directed.
- Carrying out other day to day tasks as instructed/directed.
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Monitor and constantly strive to improve the quality of work performed and to ensure that efficient and effective maintenance strategies are adopted for all plant and equipment.
- Be productive and show interest and have pride in the work and have consciousness to work practices and ethics and to the importance of health and safety.
- Relate and liase with other WSC sections/ organisations relevant to the
- Safeguard and protect the interests and assets of the Corporation and ensure plant and equipment integrity and safety.
- Participate actively in training courses under the direction of the Institute of Water
- Make the most efficient use of all assigned
- Carry out installations and maintenance work on Plant equipment and other projects in accordance with company requirements and as directed.
- Carry out general work in preparation for electrical installations such as laying of cable trays, cable sleeves and wall trenching.
- Work on site related activities such as, but not limited to, working underground, inside manhole chambers or trenches, at heights on scaffolding, ladders or cherry picker trucks, transporting tools, using hand and power tools and other equipment as required.
- Represent the organisation at all times by maintaining effective communication with colleagues and superiors.
- Comply to health and safety regulations as per company and government standards and make good use of protective equipment and clothing provided.
- Report to the Senior Electrician/Operations Manager on all matters concerning his/her
- Assist in the activities to meet the objectives and targets
- Follow policies, procedures and strategies devised to ensure efficient and effective
- Become thoroughly familiar with treatment plants’ technology and equipment
- Drive a vehicle provided by the Corporation as and when required and to maintain same vehicle in good working order.
- Carry out any other duties related to the respective section as may be reasonably directed by the Senior Electrician/Operations Manager.
- Undergo training courses that the Corporation deems necessary for the optimum performance in the grade.
- Keep proper records, manually or electronically of all work done and to submit timely reports related to equipment performance and works carried out as instructed by the
- Ensure efficient and effective installation and maintenance of all power and control equipment within plants including treatment systems operated by WSC for third parties.
- Ensure that all maintenance works are carried out according to the instructions manual/procedures and guidelines given to keep equipment operating at best levels of
- Collect and evaluate necessary data concerning equipment
- Carry out instrumentation configuration and calibration
- Interpret, analyse and take any action deemed appropriate to ensure effective operation of
- Conduct tests on all equipment used in treatment
- Carry out any maintenance activity or upgrade of plants (manufacturing and installation) as requested by the Senior Electrician/Operations Manager.
- Participate in and contribute to cross-functional teams as required, consult with relevant departments, as necessary, and provide training as may be required.
- Co-ordinate with the Quality Unit in obtaining and maintaining certifications and accreditations of the Corporation and participate in internal and external audits, and peer
- Carry out effectively any other duties and responsibilities and undertake other assignments as reasonably directed by the Management.
- Expected to be in, and maintain, a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service;
- Expected to work flexible hours in order to meet accountabilities and attend to work after office hours, as may be required;
- Abide by rules and regulations issued by WSC;
- Consult with other sections as may be required;
- Expected to maintain oneself abreast with best practices relevant to the post and attend any training which may be provided;
- The nature of this position requires the employee to be physically present during working hours as per operational exigencies.
Qualifications and Experience
By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must:
- Be in possession of a Diploma at MQF Level 4 related to the job or;
- An MQF Level 3 coupled with two (2) years’ work experience in Scale
- Or three (3) years’ work experience in Scale
- Be in possession of Electricians’ Licences A & B and preferably have substantial experience in installation and maintenance of low and medium voltage electrical installations as well as experience on control systems and instrument calibrations.
- Be computer
- Be in possession of a valid driving license
- Be in possession of a clean police conduct, not older than six
- Work under limited supervision, both individually and within a team;
- Detail oriented and works with a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality;
- Problem solving skills, able to multitask and meet challenging deadlines;
- Highly organized and flexible;
- Able to maintain a professional approach at all
The appointment is subject to a trial/probationary period of six (6) months during which time Appointees (i) will retain their substantive appointments, and (ii) need invariably undergo and pass through a specialized certification course to be organized by the Corporation as per exigencies. Failure to get certified as herein mentioned will automatically render the incumbent as having failed the trial/probationary and they shall return to their substantive grade upon notice issued by the Corporation to that effect.